Do you ever have those days when you just want to crawl back into bed instead of going to work? Or how about wanting to escape to a deserted island and leave all the trappings of 21st century life behind?
These are just a few examples of how running the rat race of life can get us down and discouraged and feeling like we’re not worthy of a successful business. Some people even feel like an imposter because they don’t have the proper degrees or haven’t reached their lofty business goals in a short amount of time.
Embracing a positive outlook regarding your business will carry over into your whole life and will greatly improve your joy and happiness. These 12 tips can be used in any aspect of life – business, personal, social – so start incorporating some of them and take some notes when you see a shift in your attitude.
1. Recite positive affirmations. Sometimes we all need a little reminder that we ARE worthy and we DO deserve success. Find a few affirmations that resonate with you and post them around your house where you’ll see them often.
2. Spend your time wisely by learning from the best sources. Learning from the best of the best encourages you to move forward with your plans. Wasting your time with subpar products or imitation resources that spout the same information only leads to procrastination.
3. Draw inspiration from good role models. You’ll know a good role model when you see them because you’ll feel drawn to them and their teachings will resonate deeply. Don’t copy their steps exactly; instead, modify the steps they took to their success so it meshes with your life and your business values.
4. Examine your current beliefs and mindset. Our subconscious internalizes limiting beliefs, which in turn makes us feel less than worthy or successful. Everyone encounters these limiting beliefs at some point; the key is to identify these beliefs (in all areas of your life), understand why they are blocking your success, and turn these around into positive thinking that allows you to move forward.
5. Change your self-limiting beliefs into more powerful beliefs. Grab a pen and paper and write down those self-limiting beliefs. Now change the wording of those limiting beliefs into something much more powerful. For example, if you believe that you’ll never be the breadwinner in your family, change that belief into, “I am intelligent and capable of earning enough money to support my family.”
6. Revisit your vision and goals. Everyone should have career and personal goals otherwise you’ll have nothing to work toward, which can make life boring and unfulfilling. Creating a vision for your business often reignites the excitement you once had which in turn will excite you to break that vision down into smaller goals. Break those smaller goals down even further into daily tasks and you’ll find a great sense of accomplishment every time you cross off that daily task.
7. Socialize with positive people. As the Law of Attraction states, “Like attracts like,” so if you want to foster a positive outlook on life, find positive people to be around. Those with a negative outlook and a belief that everyone is out to get them will bring that negativity into your life, which WILL suck any positivity away.
8. Avoid negative media stories. Yes, it’s important to know what’s happening in the world but seeing and hearing the constant barrage of bad news on all the 24/7 news channels will certainly drain your positive energy. Just as with number 7, limit your news and read inspiring books or listen to motivational podcasts if you want a more positive outlook.
9. Stretch out of your comfort zone. Trying new things, meeting new people, taking your business in a new direction are all risks but you’ll have no choice but to “rise to the occasion”. Stepping out of a comfort zone can go a long way toward improving your mindset and self-confidence, especially if you’re one of those people who say, “That was easier than I thought,” when describing their new experience.
10. Find joy outside of work. If you never step away from the computer and are consumed constantly with work, you’re headed toward burnout. Experience and enjoy time with your family and friends. Banish work talk from the dinner table. Find a new hobby. Walk on nature trails or along the beach. Reconnect with nature by planting a garden or doing yardwork. Exercise your brain with crossword puzzles or Sudoko. You’ll feel motivated and happy after allowing yourself time to relax and regroup.
11. Practice gratitude. Gratitude journaling is all the rage right now but for good reason. Finding gratitude every single day allows us to focus on the positive, which brings happiness. Your gratitude can also be in the form of business wins, which again forces you to focus on the good things in business instead of the bad.
12. Create a positive mindset morning routine. Instead of reaching for your phone the instant you open your eyes, consider starting a morning routine that brings positivity and motivation. Listen to motivational podcasts. Read personal development books or blogs. Journal about your daily goals, hopes, and dreams. Do yoga or other stretching exercises. Starting your day off with positive thoughts and movement will motivate you as well as put you in a happy mood, which can often carry throughout your day.
As you can see, there are no magic wands or pills that will change your mindset. You are in total control of your mindset and your own success, no matter what that definition may be. Take your time implementing these tips and share your goals and dreams with your family and friends or whoever will be your biggest cheerleaders. If you’re ready to make some big changes in your life, it’s time to step out of your own way.