Trapped by Your Circumstances?
Here’s the Way Out…
Sometimes life gives you a good hard kick, and it’s very tempting to stay down . But there’s a better way to react!
When life is giving you a hard time, it’s time to dig in and battle your way back. You’ve felt overwhelmed before, and yet you survived. It might even be hard to remember how you overcame those challenges, but you did. You will again!
Find your way to better days again with these strategies:
- Imagine you’re giving advice to a friend. It’s hard to see the way out of your own circumstances. However, it’s easier to see the way out of someone else’s problems. Imagine you’re giving advice to a friend that has your challenge. What advice would you give? If you had to make a plan for them, what would it be?
- Remember that challenges are temporary. Your current situation will be in the past soon enough, just like all the others that are now in the past. The key is to stay focused and positive. The better you can do those two things, the sooner you’ll experience better times.
- Brainstorm. Spend some time looking for a solution. Avoid jumping at the first reasonable option. Your brain can solve some amazing challenges if you give it some time to work on it. Sit quietly and rely on your creativity. Make a long list of possible solutions. Keep an open mind and see what you can find.
- Make a plan for tomorrow. Start each day with a plan already in place. Your job is to keep your head on straight and work on that plan. When the sun comes up, avoid doubting or questioning the plan. Avoid negative thoughts. Just do the items on your list. Make a new list at the end of the day and repeat.
- Get some relief each day. For at least an hour, find the best available distraction you can afford. It might be dinner with a friend or going for a run. A funny movie can help to take the edge off. Plan this time into your schedule and ensure it happens.
- Be strong. This easier said than done, but giving in to fear and despair is the one sure way to stay stuck. Deep breaths and a constant focus on solutions are the answer. Visualize better times when you feel your strength beginning to falter.
- Practice extreme gratitude. A poor attitude gives poor results. Put your attention on the things in your life that are going well. You might be grateful for your children, your health, or your pet. Write them down. Your list will serve as a reminder that there are some great things in your life.
- Remember that bad things happen, but suffering is optional. It’s not the events in your life that make you miserable, but the meaning you attach to them. You can choose to view your current challenges in a variety of ways. Consider choosing the perspective that best serves you. You don’t have to suffer.
Life is full of ups and downs. When you’re experiencing a down period, it’s not always easy to return to better times.
No matter how bleak your situation might look, believe there’s a way out of it. A plan and a positive attitude are the most important things to keep in mind. You’ve overcome difficult times before. You can do it now too!